An oldie but a goodie, chocolate lovers will adore this Chocolate Old-Fashioned with their favorite Johnnie Walker Scotch Whisky, a hint of zesty orange and lots of chocolate flavour thanks to a splash of Chocolate Port Liqueur, chocolate bitters and chocolate garnishes. Velvety and sweet, this whisky cocktail is a great after-dinner sipper.
Whisky is wonderful for many reasons, but one of my favorites is how well it pairs with so many flavours.
Its canvas of tasting notes — oak, caramel, smoke, molasses, vanilla and more which offers room for pairing with a spectrum of complementary flavors.
Chocolate is another delicious pairing, bringing out the sweet caramel and vanilla flavours in Whisky.
This chocolate old-fashioned celebrates this duo, with a hint of coffee and orange zest.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Whisky lovers will adore it for its twist on the classic old-fashioned.
- It’s easy to make with just a few ingredients.
Serve it after a holiday meal or whip it up as the perfect date night cocktail. Enjoy it after dinner for a dessert drink or a tasty nightcap.
Old-fashioneds are usually served in an old-fashioned glass AKA a rocks glass. They are short tumblers, often decorated with etching or unique patterns. Rocks glasses are a must-have for old-fashioned cocktails.
- 60ml Johnnie Walker Scotch Whisky
- 30ml Flaschengeist Chocolate Port liqueur
- 4-6 dashes chocolate
- 2 dashes coffee bitters, optional
- 2 dashes orange bitters, optional
- 1 piece orange zest, for garnish
- ½ teaspoon chocolate syrup, for garnish
- If using a chocolate syrup garnish, add chocolate syrup to a plate. Roll the edge of the glass in the syrup and shake off excess.
- In a rocks glass or mixing glass, stir together chocolate port and bourbon.
- Carefully lower in a large ice cube.
- Top with bitters and garnish with a piece of orange zest. Twist the zest over the drink before you add it to release its essential oils and aroma.